Alternative to traditional psychiatric treatment
We recognize that ECT survivors have real mental or emotional problems that may be the result of ECT, or that led them to seek psychiatric help in the first place. As an alternative to dangerous psychiatric treatments, we recommend you look into Process Work. See our Process Work page for more information.
Please fill out our ECT Questionnaire. We are seeking people damaged by electroshock in order to match them with legal representation. Our goal is to help you seek compensation for your injuries, and to ensure others do not suffer your fate.
Links to more information
Below are links to the sites of other individuals and organizations with a proven record of supporting ECT survivors and of working for psychiatric reform. Many ECT survivors and their families have found this information useful.
- Connect with other ECT Survivors on Facebook!
Electro Shock Survivors (ECT) Support Group
- Activist Lauren Tenney’s blog radio show 9-11 EST at Real Life. Real Answers.
General ECT Information & Your Rights
- LifeAfterShock.com Shock survivor, Jane Rice’s website “to inform people considering ECT of the true risks and provide all the hard-found resources for those already injured so they can make sense of what happened to them and figure out what to do next and bring about awareness and social change.”
- How Can We Transform Psychiatric Drugging Culture? – A video that relates drugging and ECT.
- PsychRights.org – The Law Project for Psychiatric Rights (PsychRights) is a non-profit, public interest law firm whose mission is to mount a strategic legal campaign against forced psychiatric drugging and electroshock.
- Rethinking Psychiatry – A project of the Economic Justice Action Group of the First Unitarian Church.
- MentalHealthRightsYes – Education, Advocacy, Support and Empowerment for Mental Health Rights and Re-Inventing the Village
- ISEPP.org – The International Society for Ethical Psychology & Psychiatry
- CCHR.org – The Citizens Commission on Human Rights is a watchdog investigating & exposing psychiatric human rights violations.
- PeterBreggin.com Peter R. Breggin, MD, has been called “The Conscience of Psychiatry” for his many decades of successful efforts to reform the mental health field. Dr Breggin’s ECT Resources Center contains more than 125 scientific articles.
- MindFreedom.org – For over 25 years, MindFreedom International has been a non-violent and loving force for CHANGE in the mental health system, with these 3 simple goals in mind:
- Challenge human rights abuses by the psychiatric industry.
- Promote safe, humane and effective alternatives in mental health care and self-care.
- Support the self-determination and right to free, critical thought of ALL human beings (normal or not!)
- ECT.org – Information about ECT – pro, con and neutral.
- EndofShock.com – The Coalition for the Abolition of Electroshock in Texas.
- MadInAmerica.com – Science, Psychiatry and Community
- MentalHealthRecovery.com – Wellness Recovery Action Plan and Recovery Books
- ICBE- International Campaign to Ban Electroshock – The ICBE is working together with other people and groups around the world to help ban ECT universally.